A police accident report can be a valuable source of information in the days and weeks following a car accident.

These reports typically include details about the crash, such as the date, time, location, evidence and description of the events leading up to the collision from the police officer that responded to the crash. However, there are cases where a police report may not clearly indicate who is at fault for an accident.

In this blog post, we will discuss what to do when the report doesn’t assign fault and how an experienced car accident attorney can help you navigate the legal process.

How to get a copy of your police report after a car accident

You can request a copy of your police accident report by contacting the law enforcement agency that responded to your accident.

In most cases, you can call the department’s public non-emergency line and provide the date of the accident, the location and the names of the individuals involved. There may be a small fee associated with obtaining a copy of the report.

Do police reports determine fault in Missouri auto accident cases?

While police reports are valuable sources of information, they do not automatically determine fault in Missouri car accidents. The state follows a comparative fault system, which means that each party’s degree of fault is considered when determining liability for damages. A police report can provide evidence that may be used to help establish fault, but it is not the sole determining factor.

Instead, your insurance company determines fault. The insurance company will use the police report, witness statements, photos from the scene and other evidence to decide who is at fault for the accident. If you disagree with their decision, you can dispute it by filing a claim with your insurer or consulting an experienced car accident attorney.

What should I do if my police report doesn’t indicate a driver who was at fault?

If the police report for your car accident does not clearly assign fault, it’s important to gather additional evidence to help support your claim. This may include:

  1. Witness statements from individuals who saw the accident occur
  2. Photographs of the accident scene, damage to the vehicles and any injuries sustained
  3. Expert testimony from accident reconstruction specialists or other professionals
  4. Medical records and documentation of your injuries and treatment

What should I do if the police report for my case is wrong?

It might be possible that your police report could contain inaccuracies or omit crucial information. If this is the case, it’s essential to consult with an experienced car crash attorney who can help you challenge the report and present additional evidence to support your version of events. This may involve gathering new evidence, consulting with experts or obtaining additional witness statements.

What should I do if the other driver lied in the police accident report?

When the other driver lies to the law enforcement officer responding to the crash, it’s not just frustrating, it’s illegal. Lying to a law enforcement officer is a crime in Missouri and can land the other driver in hot water.

In cases where the other driver has lied about their involvement in the accident, it’s important to seek legal advice from an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you present your side of the story and challenge any false information. An experienced attorney can also help you seek justice for any damages or injuries you have suffered.

Get legal help from experienced St. Louis car crash attorneys

When dealing with a car accident case where the police report does not clearly indicate fault, it’s crucial to have the assistance of a skilled car crash attorney who can help not only gather compelling evidence to support your claim, but to also present it.

At Niemeyer, Grebel & Kruse, our dedicated team of attorneys will work tirelessly to ensure your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and property damage.

Call us today at 314-241-1919 for a free case evaluation.


© 2016 - 2023 NGK LAW FIRM | All Rights Reserved